Everyone's body is different and everyone has different preferences to the type of diet they want to be on. For this week's #SummerChallenge we are featuring three well-known diets: Keto, Paleo and Whole30. Maybe you want to start trying one of these diets for yourself or maybe you are already on one of these diets and are looking for new recipes! Either way, you are sure to find a recipe below that you, friends and family will love.
The Keto diet is a high-fat, sufficient protein and low-carb diet. The diet forces the body to burn fat instead of carbs.
Breakfast: Keto Low Carb Cinnamon Rolls
· 2 cups mozzarella cheese part skim, shredded
· 3 ounces cream cheese
· 2 eggs
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
· ½ tsp vanilla liquid stevia
· ¾ tsp coconut flour
· ½ tsp xanthan gum
· ¼ tsp salt
· 1 tsp baking powder
· ¼ cup Swerve sweetener
½ cup butter melted
1/3 cup Sukrin Gold or use Swerve
2 tsp cinnamon
Cream Cheese Frosting
3 tsp heavy cream
3 ounces cream cheese
1 tbsp Swerve sweetener
½ tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Combine the mozzarella and cream cheese and melt together either 2 minutes in a microwave or over the stove on low heat. Stir until smooth.
3. Add the remaining dough ingredients, wet hand and thoroughly incorporate as much as possible.
4. Roll the dough on a piece of parchment paper, top with another sheet of parchment since the dough is sticky
5. Cut into 12 strips and set aside
6. Combine the melted butter, sugar free sweetener and cinnamon. Mix well to combine, use half the mixture to spread onto the dough strips of dough. Roll them up and place them on a greased or parchment lined pie dish. Use the remaining butter mixture to pour over the tops of cinnamon rolls.
7. Bake 15-18 minutes. While they are baking you can make the frosting
8. Add the frosting ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth
9. Once the rolls are hot out of the oven, spread the frosting over the tops of the rolls
Lunch: Crock Pot Loaded Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
• 1/2 cup butter
• 2 leeks sliced and rinsed well. (Or large onion)
• 2 cloves garlic minced
• 8 oz mushrooms I used crimini mushrooms for added flavor
• 2-4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
• 4 cups chicken broth divided
• 3 cups chopped cauliflower
• 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese plus extra for serving
• ½ cup heavy cream
• Salt & pepper to taste
Garnish- Sargento Fine Cut Shredded Cheddar Cheese bacon crumbles, green onion
- In a skillet melt the butter and then add cauliflower and leeks and cook for 5 min over medium heat.
- Stir in mushroom and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in 1 cup of chicken broth, scraping up any brown bits from skillet, then transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir in remaining broth.
- Cover and cook until cauliflower is tender (4-6 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high)
- Stir in cheddar cheese gradually until melted
- Stir in cream and let sit until heated (5 minutes)
- Season soup with salt and pepper to taste and serve topped with cheese, bacon and green onions
Dinner: Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
· 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or cutlets
· 6 oz cream cheese, softened
· 2 cups chopped spinach (raw)
· ½ tsp minced garlic
· 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
· ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
· ¼ tsp ground black pepper
· 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
· ¼ tsp Kosher salt
For the Breading:
· 1/3 cup superfine almond flour
· 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
· ½ tsp dried parsley
· ½ tsp kosher salt
· 1/8 tsp onion powder
· 1/8 tsp garlic powder
· 2 eggs
· 2 tbsp olive oil for frying
1. Combine cream cheese, spinach, garlic, parmesan, mozzarella, pepper, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl and mix well
2. Trim your chicken and cut in half if they are large
3. Place plastic wrap on a cutting board. Top with one piece of chicken, then another layer of plastic on top to sandwich the chicken in-between them
4. Pound chicken flat with a meat mallet. (Repeat for all pieces of chicken)
5. Spoon ¼ of the filling mixture into the middle of a chicken cutlet and rolls the edges up around it. Turn over and squeeze with your hands until sealed and an oval shape
6. Place seam side down on a cookie sheet and repeat with the other 3 pieces of chicken
7. Chill the stuffed chicken for 15 minutes
8. Beat the eggs in a medium bowl
9. Combine the other breading ingredients (except for the olive oil) in a different bowl and stir
10. Heat the oil in a medium sized nonstick sauté pan
11. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
12. Dip the stuffed chicken into the egg first, then the breading mix and cook in the saute pan until golden brown on all sides
13. Transfer the browned chicken to a baking pan
14. Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until a thermometer in the center reads 165 degrees F
15. Serve with optional marinara or alfredo sauce
Snack: Low Carb Zucchini Parmesan Chips
- 4 small zucchini’s
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Parmesan Cheese (or your favorite cheese)
- Optional: Low Sugar Spaghetti sauce for dipping
- Start by slicing each zucchini into slices that are about 1/4 inch thick.
- Prep a large baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper.
- Spread out the sliced zucchini rounds on to the large baking sheet and don’t worry too much if there is little space in between each one. You can sprinkle easy one with salt and pepper. This will depend on how much flavor your cheese has.
- Now sprinkle your cheese evenly over each Zucchini round covering each one. I personally love the Parmesan-Romano blend and I always buy the big bag from Costco.
- Bake them on 425 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese turns a golden brown color.
- You can serve them with a small amount spaghetti sauce to add even more flavor too! We do that often as well.
The Paleo diet removes grains, sugar and processed foods (and sometimes dairy). It consists mainly of all natural foods: meat, vegetables and fruits.
Breakfast: Paleo Sweet Potato Muffins
- 2.25 Cup Paleo Baking Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- .25 tsp Real Salt
- 1.5 tsp Cinnamon
- dash of allspice and/or clove (optional)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Sweet Potato (Mashed)
- .75 Cup Honey
- 2 Tbl Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla
Optional Streusel Topping
- 1/2 Cup Almond Flour
- 1 Tbl Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbl Honey
- Pinch Real Salt
- Heat the oven to 350. Grease a 12-space muffin tin with non-stick spray or use paper liners lightly greased with nonstick.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and optional spices together in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the eggs, sweet potato, honey, coconut oil and vanilla together in a large bowl.
- Stir the flour mixture into the wet ingredients.
- Fill the muffin tins will batter and bake for 20 minutes.
- If you’re adding the streusel topping, bake for 10 minutes, add the topping and bake for another 10 minutes. Make the topping by gently working the ingredients together with a fork or your fingers until it sticks together in large crumbs. Sprinkle about half a tablespoon of topping on each muffin.
Lunch: Paleo Chicken Salad Wraps
- 1 whole roasted chicken or 2 pounds of chicken
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- Juice from 1 lemon (about 2-3 Tablespoons)
- ⅓ - ½ cup Paleo mayonnaise (see recipe below)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Creole Seasoning
- 1 large egg, at room temperature (very important to be at room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, at room temperature
- 1 cup light olive oil (or 1/2 cup olive oil + 1/2 cup avocado oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard, optional
- 1 Paleo Wrap
- 1/2 cup chicken salad
- Extra mayo (optional)
- Put cooked chicken in a food processor and pulse a few times to rough chop. Continue pulsing for about 30 seconds until the chicken is finely chopped. *If you turn "on" the food processor, your chicken will become a "paste" instead of very finely chopped. Don't do this.
- In a bowl, combine lemon juice, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and creole seasoning and blend well.
- Toss chicken into the bowl, combine a few times with a spatula and throw in finely chopped celery.
- Place the 1 egg, lemon juice, salt and optional dijon mustard in a blender or food processor. Pulse a few times until frothy and blended.
- The key to this step is being patient and slow. Tablespoon by tablespoon start to add the olive oil, while the blender or food processor is on. Keep pouring slowly. It should take 2 to 3 minutes. If you rush this it will not emulsify.
- Lay wrap on a flat surface. Spread extra mayo if desired. Add chicken salad on top and spread evenly. Fold in two of the four side of the wrap about 1/2 inch. (So fold top and bottom) Then take the other side and wrap it up tightly! Cut wraps in half or leave whole.
Dinner: Crockpot Paleo BBQ Chicken Wings
- 2 - 2 1/2 lbs. of raw chicken wings
- Olive oil
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups of barbeque sauce
- 2 tbs - 4 tbs of Franks Red Hot Wing Sauce
- Turn on your oven's broiler
- Plug in your crockpot and set to low
- Salt and pepper all wings, then lightly coat them with olive oil
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and place something like a cooling rack or two on the cookie sheet. Place chicken on the cookie sheet racks, and slide the cookie sheet onto the top rack of your oven
- Broil chicken about 5 minutes on each side (this is just to crisp the crust, not to brown the chicken)
- Remove chicken from oven and place in crockpot with barbeque sauce and Franks Sauce, and cook on low for about 5-6 hours
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Snack: Healthy 3 Ingredient Paleo Dairy Free Fudge
· 1 cup chococlate chips or Paleo bar for Paleo version
· 6 tbsp full fat coconut milk
· 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Melt all the ingredients together in a double boiler for about 8 minutes until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Line a 12 mini muffin pan with mini paper muffin liners.
- Once the mixture has melted together, pour about 1 tablespoon of fudge into the mini muffin liners.
- Freeze for 1/2 hour. Then top with preferred toppings... or eat.
The Whole30 diet is a 30 day diet that eliminates sugar, alcohol, legumes, grains, soy and dairy from the diet.
Breakfast: Whole30 Sweet Potato Apple Breakfast Bake (Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 2 sweet potatoes , peeled and diced
- 2 medium apples , cored and diced
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2/3 cup compliant raisins
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- Salt, to taste
- 6 - 8 eggs (6 eggs is creates a less eggy texture, so this is personal preference. I love both!)
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Heat ghee in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat, then add sweet potatoes. Cook, stirring often until beginning to soften, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add in apples, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, and raisins, and cook until apples are softened and raisins are plumped, about 8-10 minutes. Both apples and sweet potatoes should be easily pierced with a fork. If necessary, add in a little water to prevent sticking and burning. Add in in walnuts and salt, about 1/2 teaspoon to taste. Stir to combine well and sauté the mixture a minute or two
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and coconut milk until smooth and well combined. Remove apple-sweet potato mixture from heat and pour egg mixture over. Smooth to cover with the back of a spoon. Bake for 20 minutes or until set. A knife stuck in the middle should come out clean.
Lunch: Whole30 Sloppy Joe Bowls
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 medjool dates, pitted
- 2/3 cup water (reserved)
- russet potatoes (one per person)
- Brown the ground beef in a large pan over medium-high heat and add the onion. Drain any excess grease
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the green pepper, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic, dried parsley, and salt. Mix well
- Meanwhile, in a separate small pot, bring 2/3 cup of water to a boil and add the dates. Boil 30-60 seconds, just long enough to soften the dates. Remove the dates from the pot (reserving the water for later)
- Place the dates into a food processor or blender, then add tomato sauce and tomato paste. Blend well then add to the ground beef
- Add 2 tablespoons of the reserved date water to the pan of beef
- Wash and dry a russet potato. Poke the potato with a fork or knife a few times, then microwave for 5-7 minutes, until potato is soft inside
- Serve sloppy joe mixture on top of baked russet potato and garnish with green onions
Dinner: Creamy Whole30 Bacon Garlic Spaghetti Squash
- 3-4 cups cooked spaghetti squash see notes on how to cook
- 8 pieces cooked bacon chopped in pieces or bacon bits
- 1 1/2 cups steamed broccoli
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk be sure to use full fat canned coconut milk (otherwise, it won't be thick and creamy). I use Thai Kitchen brand.
- 1 medium egg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a saucepan whisk together all the ingredients for the cream sauce.
- Heat the sauce on the stove over medium heat. Continue whisking the sauce while it cooks for about 5-8 minutes until it thickens.
- In a casserole dish, add the steamed broccoli and bacon to the cooked spaghetti squash. Then pour the cream sauce over the casserole. Heat in the oven on 400F until warm or save for later.
Snack: Apple and Almond Butter Sandwiches
- 2 apples cored
- 1/2 C. almond butter
- 1/4 C. shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Optional: raisins, mini chocolate chips, flax seeds, chia seeds, dried blueberries
- Slice cored apples horizontally to create discs
- Spread desired amount of almond butter on top of one slice
- Drizzle a bit honey over almond butter
- Add any additional fillings such as raisins, flax etc at this time
- Place another slice over top of almond butter and gently press down
- Add coconut flakes to a small plate
- Roll sides of apple through coconut flakes so that it sticks to excess almond butter
- Sprinkle with cinnamon or additional honey
Link to the recipes above (in the order they appear in the post):
Low-Carb Cinnamon Rolls:
Crock Pot Cheesy Cauliflower Soup:
Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast:
Low Carb Zucchini Parmesan Chips:
Sweet Potato Muffins:
Chicken Salad Wraps:
Crockpot BBQ Chicken Wraps:
Healthy 3 Ingredient Dairy Free Fudge:
Sweet Potato Apple Breakfast Bake:
Sloppy Joe Bowls:
Bacon Garlic Spaghetti Squash:
Apple and Almond Butter Sandwiches: